Thursday, May 24, 2012

Getting rid of Keratoisis Pilaris...

Keratosis Pilaris (aka chicken skin) is something I have had since I was born.  I have bumps all over my arms & the chicken skin look on my legs. Not to mention my face is not smooth, and I have the redness associated with it.  While, it is adorable to have cute rosy cheeks as a child.... as an adult, not so much!!

I have tried sooooooooooo many things through the years, and most things are hit or miss.  I am starting a new regimen, to see if this helps!! Here is what I am doing:

Dry Skin Brushing:  I am doing this before showering... to help exfoliate the skin and increase circulation.  You can use circular or long strokes.  I prefer long brush strokes because I feel like I get more even coverage.  I also start on my feet and work my way up to abdomen, then finish with the arms.  I haven't tried dry brushing my face, as it is not recommended with the body dry brush.

Vivite Glycolic Acid Scrub:  This facewash is great, because it is the perfect consistency for gritty exfoliation and it also has glycolic acid in it.  I have used this in the past, and although it does help with the exfoliation, it hasn't helped with the redness.  I usually use this in mornings.

Reviva Labs Glycolic Acid Face Wash:  Another great glycolic facewash which is natural, and water activated.  I usually use this in the mornings and absolutely love how silky it makes my skin feel!!

Body Scrub Gloves:  In addition to the dry skin brushing, I am also exfoliating in the shower with gloves.  Hopefully this doesn't over do it, but I try to just keep it gentle.

Reviva Labs Glycolic Acid Face Cream:   I also love this so far!  It is moisturizing, and leaves my skin feeling soft.  Although it stings a little when putting it on, it is well worth it.  Because I don't want to get it near my eyes, I usually use Argon Oil to remove my eye makeup and act as a moisturizer around the eyes BEFORE I put my glycolic acid cream on.  I use airbrush makeup too, so this moisturizer acts as a good base.

Shikai Borage Therapy Skin Cream:   This works wonders.  It doesn't seem to help with the redness or bumpiness, however... it is amazing for moisturizing properties, and keeping down any irritation associated with dry skin or keratosis pilaris.  My brother even started to get poison ivy and he said this helped to stop the itching.

Supplements!!:
Shakeoogy whole food shake:  As I mentioned before this is packed with nutrients! The main ones that I focus on for skin are Vitamin A of 5,000 iu's & MSM of 150mg.

Vitamin D:  I try to get out in the sun, but if not then I take a drop of Vitamin D supplement which is approx 2,000 iu's.

Magnesium:  Approx 250mg a day.  This is for more digestive help, and overall health. I take the CALM version which is a drink.  My fave is the Raspberry Lemon flavor!!

L-Tyrosine:  1,000mg.  I had my check up recently and bloodwork done.  Everything was fine, except for my thyroid numbers were slightly elevated.  So I am helping L-Tryosine should help!

I need to take Cod Liver Oil, but haven't started!! I have a bottle of cod liver oil pills I keep in the fridge to make sure the fish taste stays down after eating them.  Its just a matter of going to the fridge and remembering to take them!!

Hopefully this all will help with some of my skin issues. If it works, I will post before and after pictures...   If not, I will try something else!! I am determined...  I would love to hear if anyone else has any success with a serious case of Keratosis Pilaris.




No comments:

Post a Comment